Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Kamel's School Essentials

I know that school is not even close to starting but I thought that since all the stores are in full back to school mode right now that I should do this post now. These are some of my favorite and most used items that I use year after year for school that have held the test of time. I would recommend these things for any middle or high school aged kid, and some of these are great for elementary school kids as well.

Backpack 

I love Land's End backpacks, they are the most durable and sturdy backpacks I have ever tried. Once I got my first one I have never looked back and have been using the same one year after year.
I talk more about my back pack and school locker essentials in this post, What's in Kamel's locker?



landsend.com/products/digital-classmate-medium-backpack

Rubber Edged Binder

You know how on regular binders the edge always is the first part to break? Not with these binders, they have an extra durable coating on the edges to prevent that exact problem. When I had regular binders I would have to replace them every year, but since I got some of these I have used the same binders for 4 years.



Staples-Better-2-Inch-D-3-Ring-View-Binder-Blue

Reinforced Filler Paper

The reinforced part of this paper makes it really nice so your papers won't start to rip out of your binder, this means if you take notes on this paper you can pop it right on your binder rings and keep them nice and orderly. Filler paper in general is nice so that you don't have to tear paper out of a notebook every time you need just one piece of paper and you don't get all the scraggly stuff that is left on the edges (teachers hate that).



Reinforced-Filler-Paper

Plastic Folders

Before I discovered plastic folders I would have to replace my folders every new trimester because the old ones would be tearing out of my binder at the holes, or the bottom would be falling apart and my papers would fall out. These don't have those problems because they're made out of plastic, I only just discovered them in 10th grade but I have not had to replace any of my folders since then. Make sure you get the ones that already have binder holes in them, I learned that the hard way :)



Staples poly folder

Five Star Notebooks

These notebooks are awesome because they have their own built in folder (though they are paper so you can't use this feature for more than one or two trimesters). They also have a sturdy metal spiral, a durable plastic cover, and perforated pages. Make sure you get college ruled to make your English teacher happy ;)



Mead-Five-Star-Wirebound-Notebook-2-Subject-College-Ruled

Scientific Calculator

This calculator is my best friend, what more can I say? I have used this calculator a lot in math and science but I have also used this in many other random classes for its more advanced functions. This calculator was especially useful in my high school and college chemistry classes, and my chem teacher even recommends this specific calculator, so it must be a good one.



Texas-Instruments-reg-TI-30XS-MultiView-trade-Scientific-Calculator

Graphing Calculator

As much as I dearly love my scientific calculator there is one thing that it doesn't do, graph. This is mostly important for math classes (and maybe physics?) Once I got into 9th grade math we started using these graphing calculators, but since they are on the pricey side I didn't get a personal one until 11th grade for the ACT. Before I was using online calculators at home or coming in early to class to use a classroom set one, but having your own is sooo nice! I would recommend getting the same brand that you use at school so that you already know what buttons to use, and your teacher can help you if you have trouble.




Texas-Instruments-TI-84-CE-Color-Screen-Graphing-Calculator

Ruler

This is a household staple for anyone you can use it for art projects, in the kitchen, for house projects and so much more. But a ruler is especially useful for hand drawing graphs. If your teacher hasn't had you do this in math yet just wait, one of them will trust me. These are the best not only for linear graphs but also just to get your axis straight and to evenly space your labels on the axis. I don't have one specific brand that I like but I would recommend the clear ones so you can see what's underneath your ruler.



Westcott-reg-12-Acrylic-Ruler

Graph Paper

This is for the same reason as above, hand drawing graphs. Graph paper is nice because you already have straight lines for axis and evenly spaced lines for coordinate points. Your math teacher will probably give you some of this if they assign you to graph something but it is always nice to have some at hand just in case. There is one other thing that graph paper is really good for...Interior Design! Graph paper is perfect for drafting and is your templates are made to fit graph paper, just make sure the squares are 1/4 in.



Reinforced-Filler-Paper-Graph-Ruled-4x4-8-1-2-x-11

Writing Utensils

All of the writing tools below I use because they are the most comfortable, smooth, easy to write with, and reliable of all the other contenders that I have tried. I am right handed so I can't say anything about any of these for lefties but I think that most of these are good for both types of people.

Paper Mate Clear Point Mechanical Pencils

I don't know about you but I use my eraser a lot! I never used ordinary mechanical pencils because of this, I knew that they would only last as long as my eraser did so I would be wasting my money. That is until I found these, they are more pricey than your regular mechanical pencils but they have extra long erasers that you screw up when you need more, and a couple refill erasers. Lot's of other people like these too, in any class that I'm in I can always spot several other people using this exact same pencil.



Paper-Mate-reg-ClearPoint-reg-Mechanical-Pencil-Starter-Set-0-7mm-2-pk

Cap Erasers

Speaking of erasers these cap erasers were my jam back in elementary school. I actually put these on brand new pencils because I knew that I would need one any way in a couple days. These extend the life of your pencil by a lot. Remember how it was cool in elementary school to have a pencil that you had used so much that it was only an inch or two long? That wouldn't have happened without cap erasers :)


                    Staples® Cap Erasers, Assorted, Dozen

Cap-Erasers-Assorted-Dozen

Pencils

Even if you have made the transition to mechanical pencils I would still have a couple of regular pencils at hand in case you run out of lead. You really need these if you are taking any kind of bubble test on paper because if you don't use a number 2 pencil the machines can't read your answers correctly (its something in the lead I think). I know for certain that the ACT is still on paper and the SAT probably is too. Plus regular pencils have all sorts of really cute designs, so this is a good way to get your personality into your school supplies.



Dixon-Ticonderoga-Presharpened-2-Pencil-Yellow-18-Pack

Pentel R.S.V.P Red Pen

A lot of teachers will have you correct your own or someone else's paper (because it saves them so much time) so you will definitely need a red correcting pen. These pens write so smoothly it is amazing and the grip is super comfy too. They come in many different colors like black, red, blue, green, and purple.



Pentel-R-S-V-P-Ballpoint-Pens-Medium-Point-Red

Colored Pencils

I know that you might think these are just for elementary school, but I have needed colored pencils for lots of classes in high school, even in math! Colored pencils are the best to use because crayons break too easily in back packs and markers are bulky and smelly, plus colored pencils won't run out of ink or leave crayon shavings everywhere.



Crayola-Colored-Pencils-12-Box

Bic Round Stic Pens

It might be how smoothly they write or the perfect size of the line or how it feels in my hand I don't know, but I love these pens!


BIC-Round-Stic-Ballpoint-Pen-Black-Ink-Medium-Point

Fine Point Sharpies

Sharpies are another household staple that everyone should have. Fine point sharpies are especially useful for labeling your things and for outlining/writing on posters. I always use these in art class and for drafting in interior design.



Sharpie-reg-Ultra-Fine-Point-Permanent-Markers

Paper Mate Felt Tip Pens

These pens have beautiful color payoff and they have a very fine point. I think these would have been useful to have in geography when we were coloring in a lot of little countries in our world maps.



Paper-Mate-reg-Flair-reg-Felt-Tip-Pens-Medium-Point-Assorted-12-pk

Sharpie Highlighters

I'm going to be honest when I say that I don't use highlighters all that often, but I like this one because it is slim and has a thin chisel tip so you can underline and highlight if you want to.



Sharpie-reg-Highlighters-Narrow-Chisel-Tip-Yellow

Pencil Sharpener

I really like having my own personal sharpener with me at school because you don't have to get up to use the teacher's sharpener and they are quieter than the electric ones so you aren't disturbing the class when you need to sharpen your pencil or colored pencils. Plus you are a hero when the pencil sharpener is broken or the teacher doesn't have one :)



Staples-reg-Dual-Dome-Pencil-Sharpener

Big Eraser

I don't usually need these because I just use my pencil's eraser, but I will use one when I have to erase a big area. For example I use this a lot in art or after I have outlined something in sharpie and want to erase the pencil lines.




Paper-Mate-Pink-Pearl-Elastomer-Compound-Eraser-Medium-3-Pack


Glue Sticks

A glue stick is the best thing to use to glue paper to paper, which is usually the only type of gluing you will do at school.



Elmer-s-Disappearing-Purple-School-Glue-Sticks-3-Pack

Stapler

This stapler is the mother of all staplers. It is spring loaded so it is super easy to press down and it has a lot of power behind it so you can easily staple a lot of papers together. I have never had a problem with this stapler jamming or getting stuck. If you are in the market for a new stapler this one is a good choice.



Copy Paper

Last but not least is copy paper no matter who you are, you are going to need some of this especially in today's day and age where every one wants a typewritten paper instead of a handwritten one. You will definitely need some of this if you have English and history classes because you will undoubtedly be typing and printing up some essays for those classes. This paper is also good for coloring on ;) 


Multiuse-Copy-Paper-8-1-2-x-11-8-Ream-Case

I know I'm forgetting things but hopefully this list gave you some good ideas or at least a good start. Let me know some of your favorite school supplies below in a comment.
Good luck in your learning!
Kamel

No comments:

Post a Comment